Ahmed D. Hussen
York South—Weston, Ontario
Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
Lawyer, social activist and the first Somali-Canadian MP
National President of the Canadian Somali Congress and a member of the task force for modernizing income security for adults in the Toronto City Summit Alliance, Ahmed Hussen worked at Queen's Park for Dalton McGuinty in the early 2000s but this election was his first campaign as a candidate. He made civic engagement a focus of his career.
Born and raised in Somalia before coming to Canada in 1993, Hussen quickly became involved in his new neighbourhood of Regent Park as a social activist and co-founded the Regent Park Community Council. He ousted incumbent NDP MP Mike Sullivan to become the first Somali-Canadian Member of Parliament.
On January 10, 2017 Hussen was named as Canada's new immigration minister.
Click here to read his mandate letter.
Off the Hill
Hussen was a track and field star at his Hamilton high school before moving to Toronto. He worked at a gas station in Mississauga, an hour commute from his home, to scrape together enough money for tuition at York University.
He is fluent in English, Somali and Swahili, has a law degree from the University of Ottawa and has been recognized for his contributions as a community leader.
Current Roles and Responsibilities
- Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
- Co-Chair, 416 Caucus
- Vice-Chair, Canada-Africa Parliamentary Association
Current Cabinet Committee Membership
- Vice-Chair, Committee on Growing the Middle Class
- Member, Committee on Canada in the World and Public Security
- Member, Committee on Canada-United States Relations
- Member, Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
2015 vote share
|First elected:||2015 , York South-Weston|
- University of Ottawa - Juris Doctor of Laws
- York University - Bachelor of Arts (history)
- Director, Global Enrichment Foundation.
- Special Assistant, Intergovernmental Affairs, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty.
- National President, Canadian Somali Council.
- 1997: President, Regent Park Community Council.
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
English, Somali, Swahili
Ali SalamChief of Staff 613-954-1064
Nathalie GuaySenior Special Assistant 613-954-1064
Sacha AtherlyPolicy Advisor 613-954-1064
Lisa CheskesDirector of Case Management 613-954-1064
Hursh JaswalCommunications Manager 613-954-1064
Kyle NickolsonDirector of Policy 613-954-1064
Zubair PatelDirector of Operations and Outreach 613-954-1064
Olga RadchenkoSpecial Assistant 613-954-1064
Brandan RoweParliament Secretary Assistant 613-954-1064
Tia TariqSenior Advisor 613-954-1064
Lobbying data is only available to GovGUIDE+ users.
Ask us about a free trial upgrade, call 613-505-0865 .
"I have a lot to contribute to Canada, and I'm a mainstream guy, I'm not limited by my community. Everyone has a heritage, but we have a shared citizenship."